Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Recital & Summer

The music recital went well last night. Some of my teacher's students weren't able to attend, so it was a rather short program. But everyone did great. Even those who had only been taking lessons for a couple of years sounded really good.

My performances went fairly well... The first song I played on violin was a Celtic piece called "The Butterfly." I didn't really make mistakes, necessarily, but I didn't play it as well as I did when practicing at home. Oh well. The next song I did was a hymn, "Come Thou Fount," which was accompanied by my teacher on the piano. It's one of my favorite hymns, and I knew it well, so it wasn't too difficult. Though, since I was doing it by memory I was kind of hesitant on some of the notes so they came out shaky.
I played guitar on the last song, and my sister played the melody with her flute. It's a worship song called, "No Sweeter Name." (An awesome song - you should look it up if you're not familiar with it.) My sister did great, despite the fact that my strumming wasn't always in perfect rhythm, and I accidentally played the wrong chord at one point. Oh well. :-) It happens.

Anyway, now that both orchestra and the music recital are over, I can start working on other things... like learning different styles of vibrato and working on my bowing, etc. I'll also have an opportunity to learn new songs just for fun. So I'm looking forward to doing that this summer.

What are you all doing this summer?

3 comments:

Zoe said...

I am glad your recital went well! I am sure it all sounded great!


~Zoe

Jacob R Parker said...

For me summers always look like this big bout of free time. Then it comes and it's no slower than the rest of the year. Then it's gone before I get a chance to grasp it. Oh well, I'll still enjoy it and hope you do too. :)

Violinist4Christ said...

Thanks, Zoe! :)

Jacob: Ha ha, yeah. I can totally relate to that. Hopefully summer will be less busy this year.