Wednesday, July 27, 2011

College

Hello again everyone!

I'm sure you've all noticed the new blog layout; I thought I'd address it so you're not distracted about it for the rest of the post. :)  I decided it was time for a change, especially since the old layout hid some of the links and buttons and such.  I may play around with backgrounds more.  I definitely want to keep the banner because it fits me so well.  Just need to find a good background to go with it. 
Anyway, that said, on to my post. 

I start college in two weeks.  As the first day approaches, there are so many "lasts" I will have to face.  Last day playing violin in the youth group's band, last day helping with the preschool at church, last violin lesson with the teacher I've had since I was 10, last days of free time. But there will be so many firsts! First time in a classroom setting since first grade, first friend I make in college, first chapel service as a college student... 

It's the biggest transition I have made in my life, and the only way I'll make it successfully is by keeping my focus on Jesus, the One Who never changes and is by my side no matter what happens. Only He knows the unknown, and with Him there's no reason to fear.

But it's all rather bittersweet.  I'm going to miss my violin teacher so much.  We've become close friends over the years and made it through some tough times together.  And the thought of a new teacher whom I have never met is a bit intimidating. 
And all the things that I've been a part of... my part in them is ending.  I'll miss seeing all those beautiful 4 and 5 year olds at church twice a month.  I'll miss all the free time I've been enjoying this summer.  I'll miss the times I've been able to have with my sister.  I am commuting to college, but I don't think I'll have much time for anything but studying.  So I'm going to adjust and be flexible.  One of the books I've been reading is called "Fearless," by Max Lucado.  One chapter talks about how when you're going through a storm, or a situation that throws you significantly off-balance - to keep your eyes fixed on the pilot - on Jesus.  He is the light that lets you see what the next step is.  He's the point of reference when the rest of the world is shifting crazily.  And He is the One Who will keep you steady in the midst of a world falling apart.  So for all of us who are going to college or through a big transition, I pray this: Jesus, I know You're going to walk us through this.  Give us gentle reminders throughout the day of Your presence, and strengthen us to pursue excellence in everything.

When I tell people I'm starting college I get mixed reactions. 1. "Wow!  Are you excited?" 2. "Ooh are you nervous?" 3. "You really don't look old enough to be a college student."   (That last one scares me. Lol.)


1. Yes! 2. I'm trying not to be. 3.  Yes, you're the 20th person to say that this month.  (Maybe I'm exaggerating, but really... it's starting to get annoying.)


The first question is asked by people who know me well and have the utmost confidence that I WILL succeed in college.  They've seen that I work hard and am strong in my faith.  They're the ones that really help me see that college is an adventure, and that I will have fun even in the midst of all the hard work.
The second is asked by well-meaning friends/acquaintences.  I never know what to say to that. "Um, not right now, but once it gets closer to the first day, I'll probably be nervous."  But y'know... I don't even want to anticipate getting nervous.  I don't have to be.  Excited, focused, energized... that's what I want to be on the first day and throughout the next four years.
The third is asked by people who just found out my age.  I've been told that I look younger than my age since I was around 11.  But then there is that rare occasion when someone says I look my age or older.  (I like those people. Lol!)  But every time someone says that, I wonder if I'll fit in in college.  Will people see me as beneath them because I'm short and look younger?  Will I always be looking up at people, trying to change my appearance to be accepted?  Or will I accept that God made me this small and use it to be a comfort to others in the same boat as me?

I think I'll choose the latter.



So anyway, those are my rather disorganized thoughts about college.  And to those who will join me in this new and exciting adventure, welcome aboard!  Let's keep our eyes on the Captain of the ship and not weary in our faith in Him.

6 comments:

Kelsey said...

Goodness, I worry about the same thing. I'm 5'2 and look like I'm about 15 so I'm very worried I won't fit in too. It scares me that I will be tempted to change my appearance to fit in. But I know the Lord will be with both of us and give us strength to be exactly who we are supposed to be.

I'll be praying for you! Reading your blog is such a blessing. We will have to encourage each other and keep each other accountable through this challenging time in our lives.

Emilyn J Clover said...

Yeah... like the first day that short Repunzel left the tower because of ONE Flynn Rider, and met all those tall thugs that happened to be sweet.
I'm your sister, V4C, so I have to go along with it too. I'll trust in God with you. Another chapter, another story. A big change. Like in American girl books(Kristen series) when her home burned to the ground and they had to move.

Stacie said...

Well best of luck to you as you go to college!! I am a sophomore commuter at college and I loooove it! I was nervous at first, but then once I started I have loved it. And about the looking young, I still get asked if I am in high school and I have been in college a year. So don't feel all alone. ;) God bless you! Come visit my site at www.stacieswritings.blogspot.com

Violinist4Christ said...

Zoe: I'm 5'1. But from the pictures I've seen, you definitely look older than 15 (of course, this is coming from someone who gets called 15 years old herself. :) ) Thank you so much for your prayers! I don't know how much I'll be on blogger in the coming months, but yes, we should definitely keep encouraging each other. :)

W4C: I love you, sis! I'm glad I'll be able to commute to college. We'll keep seeing each other, but my time will be limited.

Stacie: Thanks for your encouraging comment! It's nice to know I'm not the only one who looks young. :) I'll check out your blog! :)

heidi said...

Hey I just read this and your words were so sweet =) I'm glad that you are liking your new teacher! And I'm sure you are doing great in school because you are just one of those kinds of students!

Violinist4Christ said...

:) Thank you, Heidi! I miss you lots!